Thursday, February 23, 2012

Vegan Beignets



Okay. I should think about maybe posting some healthy recipes soon. I'm not entirely sure if this is the best way to kickoff a blog where I'm showcasing my progress (keyword!) in making healthier food choices...

But what's a girl suppose to do when the cord to the deep fryer shows up after months of searching for it...on Fat Tuesday?! 

Make beignets of course!




Since I have been trying to get the hang of vegan baking, I decided to try a dairy-free version. They are super easy to make. Just keep in mind that the dough needs to rest for a couple of hours. After that, it's just a couple steps to frying-time!



They were delicious! So light & fluffy. I made a fresh cup of coffee to go with these & I was in heaven. Deep fried, sugar-filled heaven. I had to be quick with the picture taking since they weren't staying on the plate for very long. I had to secretly put some aside to make sure I had enough for a decent photo op!

Mmmm....yum yum!



While savoring these things, I couldn't help but be reminded of last year's girls trip to New Orleans.

Now that I think about it...it's time to start planning out our next adventure!



Vegan Beignets
adapted from The Sweetest Vegan

3/4 cup & 1 tbsp of warm water
1/4 cup unrefined sugar
1 tsp dry active yeast
1/8 cup smashed banana 
3/4 tsp ener g egg replacer (mixed with 1 tbsp water)
1/2 cup almond milk
3 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup non-hydrogenated shortening
couple teaspoons of oil

Whisk water, yeast, & sugar together. Let stand for 10 minutes. Add milk, banana, egg replacer mixture. Mix in 1/2 of the four, followed by mixing in the shortening & then remaining flour. 
Knead the dough into a ball and transfer into a well oiled bowl. Cover with a damp cloth & let it sit for a couple of hours in a warm place.
Once the dough has doubled in size,roll it out into a square about 1/4-1/2" thick (sorry, I wish I would have taken better note of how thick mine were) & cut into squares.
Now they are ready to drop in the hot oil. Depending on the size of your deep fryer, fry about 3 at a time until golden brown.
Dry them on a paper towel & immediately drench in power sugar.

Enjoy!
Melissa M.

No comments:

Post a Comment