Wednesday, February 29, 2012


Stuffed Acorn Squash


I love this moment. After dinner, comfy clothes on, sitting down with a completed to-do list for the day. It's over! I'm free to sit or lay for the rest of the night!

Ahhh... well hello relaxation time...
One of the many benefits of cooking dinner, the pleasure of smelling it all night. Right now, I'm enjoying garlic & cilantro... and it's wonderful... and it's kinda making my tummy grumble... dang it! I made myself hungry. I'm gonna eat an oreo...or two. 

But first I'm going to tell you about this yummy healthy dinner I made tonight!


Tender acorn squash stuffed with cumin spiced couscous, veggies, and beans.

It's a simple meal with company worthy presence. It really is a no sweat meal. Just the chopping of whatever veggies you decide to use. The squash needs to back for about 30 minutes before proceeding with the recipe, so that makes a convenient time to prep all other ingredients.


If you get the chance to try it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Goodnight :)


Stuffed Acorn Squash
recipe adapted from All Recipes

2 acorn squash
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp earth balance, melted
2 tbsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves
2 celery stalks
3 carrots
1/2 cup garbanzo beans
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
1 tbsp cumin
1 small handful of cilantro, chopped
salt & pepper
1 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup couscous

Preheat oven to 350.
Cut squash in half, down the middle. Lay the cut side of the squash down on a baking sheet & bake for 30 minutes or until tender. Dissolve the sugar in the butter & brush the mixture all over the acorns. Heat the oil over medium-high heat and stir in the garlic, celery, carrots, bell pepper, and onion. Cook for about 5 minutes and then stir in beans. Season with cumin, salt & pepper, and continue to cook until veggies are tender. Stir in cilantro & broth. Mix in couscous. Cover pan & turn off heat. Let the couscous sit  for about 5 minutes & allow it to absorb the broth.

Enjoy!
Melissa.