Tuesday, February 21, 2012


Happy Birthday Handsome!




Mmmm.... don't you just want to take a bite of that cake? Look at it. Just sittin' there. Lookin' oh so moist...made with peanut butter (ooohhh yea....), banana (alright, now...), shredded carrots (eehhh....), a little cream cheese (...) and some dog treat crumbles (gross!)! WHAT THE WHAT?! 


Ha! Gotcha!

The cake above is my first doggy cake to ever make! I think it turned out pretty darn cute. It was made this past Sunday for the sweet dog pictured below to celebrate his 6th birthday. His name is Handsome...for obvious reasons. 


Handsome is my boyfriend's dog & I love the "lil' man" to pieces. And I know for a fact that he loves me a ton (you saw the cake, right?). My bf works out of town a lot which unfortunately means having to be without this precious pup sometimes. (This dog has severe separation anxiety. Cannot be without my bf...ever!)  He's the reason I got Sterling to begin with. It just became too difficult to be without his sweet cuddles. 
I make sure to enjoy every minute of him when he is here in Austin & now I have two pups to cuddle with! And Sterling LOVES when Handsome is in town.



I tried to get a picture of the handsome man with his cake but it was just too difficult. He wanted to get down to business! So I had to be quick with the pics & stop him from eating the candles! 



Hehe and as you can see...Sterling was patiently waiting to join the party!




The cake was a success & the pups absolutely loved it!

Since this was my first dog cake, I researched different recipes and just did a combination of different ones. And of course, I also researched the ingredients to make sure everything was dog safe. Now, I'm not saying that it's okay for your dog to consume this whole cake along with a jar of peanut butter and block of cream cheese. It's just like regular cake in that no one should eat a whole cake in one sitting...or a whole block of cream cheese. I just let the dogs eat a tiny piece & refrigerated the rest for a tiny slice the next day. Of course, every dog is different so some of the ingredients I used may not be an option for your pup. 



Handsome's Birthday Cake:
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup of all natural sugar free peanut butter
2 bananas, smashed
1/4 cup canola oil
1 egg
a few drops of honey
1 carrot, shredded 
3/4 cup water
Whipped cream cheese for the frosting on top
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F & prepare two 6" cake pans. Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together. Stir in the oil, egg, 1/4 cup peanut butter, bananas, carrot, & honey. Add water as needed to make the batter the consistency of a regular cake. Split the batter between the two cake pans & bake for about 15-20 minutes (when toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean).
To assemble the cake,  I whipped an 8oz block of cream cheese (you will NOT be using it all) until it reached a fluffy butter cream like texture. I put a thin layer between the cooled cakes & then another thin layer on top. I used the remaining peanut butter to spread around the side of the cake & added some smashed up dog treats.


Happy Birthday Handsome Man. You are very loved!
  


No comments:

Post a Comment