Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Grape, Honey Pepper Goat Cheese, & Walnut Galette



It was the first Sunday of October when I made this. There was a hiking trip planned for the day. On my list of favorite fall activities hiking is #1. There is something about the weather and colors of October that turns a hiking trip into a time of clarity, a time to breathe and recharge.  Granted, this can be true for any hiking trip anytime of the year, but there is just something about October. Even though it was perfect hiking weather, when I woke up that Sunday I just felt the need to welcome fall in another way. I needed to make something in the kitchen. I decided to stay behind while Billy and friends enjoyed the outdoors.






I had nothing particular in mind that I wanted to make but I knew it would involve the bundle of black grapes I bought the day before for less than a buck. I've always enjoyed grapes, preferably frozen. Have you ever tried frozen grapes? Delicious!  It wasn't until recently that I fell in love with roasted grapes.


There were two new  ingredients in my kitchen. The first being a jar of wild honey given to Billy by a friend involved with the Central Texas Honey Bee Rescue. They are a nonprofit organization committed to saving and relocating feral hives.  The second was a new tub of Pure Luck- June's Joy goat cheese. Pure Luck is a local farm in Dripping Springs, TX. I first spotted them at a farmer's market one Sunday. From that moment on, I fell in love with June's Joy- goat cheese mixed with honey, thyme, & pepper. It's incredibly delicious and dangerously addicting. 


Once I decided I would make a galette I opted to make my own honey-pepper goat cheese mix using the plain goat cheese I had in the fridge. (Yes, I often have several types of cheese at my house. This is what keeps Billy & I's relationship strong.) June's Joy is a bit on the pricier end so I didn't want to use most of it on one recipe.


I couldn't have picked a better dish to welcome in the new season. It's basically fall wrapped in pastry dough. When friends returned from their hiking trip, I welcomed them with a warm galette straight from the oven. They loved it and said it was the perfect way to end the day. There was no doubt that I made the right decision to stay behind that day, but you better believe I'll be going on the next hiking trip. I can't wait! 


Grape, Honey Pepper Goat Cheese & Walnut Galette
adapted from this

Crust:
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 whole wheat pastry flour *or use only all purpose*
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup solid chilled coconut oil *sub butter or shortening*
1/4 cup ice water

Filling:
1- 1 1/2 pounds grapes
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp dried rosemary 
fresh cracked black pepper
8 oz goat cheese *or less-you decide!
1 1/2 tbsp honey
plus extra for drizzling
1/2 tsp thyme

Crust:In the bowl of an electric mixer , combine flour, sugar, and salt. Cut in the chilled coconut oil. Blend until evenly distributed with remaining visible pieces. Add the ice water and mix until it begins the come together and pulls from the bowl. Do not over mix! Gather dough and shape into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

filling:In a large bowl, combine grapes, oil, rosemary, and a dash of freshly cracked black pepper. In a medium bowl or food processor, combine goat cheese, 1 1/2 tbsp honey, and thyme.

to assemble: Preheat oven to 375. Remove dough from fridge and let soften a bit. Roll out to about 1/8-inch thick. transfer to parchment lined baking sheet or place in a cast iron skillet. Fill the center with honey pepper goat cheese and grapes leaving a 1 1/2 inch border all the way around. Top with walnuts, extra goat cheese and drizzle of honey. Fold in the edge of the pastry dough, covering about 1 inch of the grape filling. Bake for 30 minutes, until pastry is golden brown. Top with extra honey if you'd like.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment