Sunday, May 6, 2012

Coconut Margarita Cupcakes (vegan)




Happy (late) Cinco! Hope you all had a great time celebrating  drinking!! It was a hot day here in Austin, but it was still a nice day to layout in the sun with a margarita... or maybe a margarita cupcake! 





Ever since I purchased Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, I'd been wanting to make the Margarita Cupcakes. It's taken awhile for me to get to them and I'm so happy I finally did! WARNING: After eating these you will want to add lime zest to every icing recipe for at least a month! 

I was super excited to find this bottle of 1800 of coconut tequila! I love coconut...it's hard for me to NOT add it to a recipe. But with this bottle, I figured I now had full leeway to add as much coconut flavors as I wanted! And I think everyone that had the pleasure of enjoying these, were happy I did so.

I've really been enjoying my new experiments in vegan baking. I actually enjoy the outcome of vegan baked goods compared to dairy filled cakes & such. They come out lighter & still moist. 

YUMMM!!




Coconut Margarita Cupcakes

1/4 cup lime juice
1 1/2 tsp finely grated lime zest
1 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tbsp tequila
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp coconut extract
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Icing:
1/4 cup earth balance
1 tbsp soy milk
3 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp tequila
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1/8 tsp kosher salt

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, beat together lime juice, zest, coconut milk, oil, tequila, vanilla, coconut extract, and sugar. Sift in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, & salt. Mix until smooth. Fold in shredded coconut. Fill cupcake liners (makes 12) and bake for 20 or until toothpick inserted through center comes out clean.


Enjoy!