Friday, May 11, 2012

Cheese-Stuffed Arepas


RAIN!! It's gloomy & rainy out...and I like it!! It's been this way all week & it's going to continue throughout the weekend. I'm a fan of rainy days as long as I'm not driving in it. Lucky for me, the roads have been clear during my morning and afternoon work commute & then BAM! Right when I get home the storm comes & it'll last all night. If there are no big outside plans to worry about then I have no problem putting my stretchy pants on, putting on a movie, grabbing the coziest blanket, and cuddling with my pup! But unfortunately Sterling does not like the rain. Rain=no outside play time. 

He's a damn monster!

But he's my sweet monster. My poor baby... I LOVE him but he is such a handful on the days he can't get outside for some exercise...understandably. It's just not fun for momma after a long day at the office & no choice but to keep him in. I did give in this past Wednesday & let him out to play with his other doggy friends but he was determined to find every and I mean EVERY mud pit. 

So while trying to entertain the pup the other night, I decided to make some cheese-stuffed arepas....
  


The original recipe called for 1/2 pound mozzarella but I just used what I had on hand which was not that much. So aside from not adding enough cheese they were delicious! I added a little chili garlic sauce to add some spice.


Throw some more cheese on it!!

They were really good but I think next time I'll trying adding some saute bell peppers & onion to the mix. Sounds good, right? If you get to try it before I do, let me know how it turns out!


Again, not the healthiest option but still pretty dang good! 

Cheese-Stuffed Arepas
Recipe from Serious Eats

2 cups masarepa
1/2 cup queso fresco (optional)
2 cups water
2 tsp vegetable oil
kosher salt
1/2 pound mozzarella, sliced or grated
2 tsp butter
1 tsp garlic chili sauce

Preheat oven with rack in the center to 325. In a medium bowl combine masarepa, queso, 1 cup water, & veggie oil. Knead until a dough is formed. To test the dough, take a small amount and flatten between your palms. If the edges crack, add more water 1 tbsp at a time. You want the dough to be smooth but not sticky. Divide dough into 8 even pieces and roll into balls. Flatten each to about 1/4 inch thick. Place 1/4 of the mozzarella in the center of 4 discs leaving a 1/2 inch gap all around. Top with the remaining 4 discs and seal the edges while trying to remove as much air as possible. Melt the butter in a cast iron skillet or nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Cook the arepas, rotating occasionally, until the first side is charred in spots & a dry crust has formed. Flip & cook about 5 minutes longer or until a dry crust has formed. Transfer to a baking sheet & cook in the oven until heated through and cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
Serve em' hot!!

Enjoy!