Monday, September 15, 2014

Baked Eggs, Tomatoes, & Sweet Potato Greens with chili oil



Breakfast is my EPIC mealtime. I'll never not know what I want, because what I want is just about everything in the morning. Leftover spaghetti sauce spiced with some baked eggs? Sure. French toast, pancakes, and waffles? I'm down. Just some leftover pizza? Why the hell not?! It's this non-picky behavior that can sometimes lead me to a new recipe idea and then introduce me to my new favorite meal. For instance, I love having leftover jasmine rice for my breakfast migas. Lightly fried rice meets spicy migas. It may sound odd but I'm telling you it works! In fact, I may have to do a post just to prove it.... 






    









Not all my morning meals are filled with leftovers or seem like a 6 year old's dream come true. Sometimes I just play it safe. My breakfast of choice for the summer was this baked egg dish. I had a variety of tomatoes and fresh sweet potato greens in my csa all through summer, so they played a major part in my meals. Have you had sweet potato greens? They are similar to spinach in the way they cook down but milder in taste. Sweet potato greens also lack the oxalic acid, which after doing some research I found out is the reason behind that funny feeling you can get on your teeth after eating spinach.



For this dish, I prefer a nice runny yolk but if you have picky guests who feel comfortable with a more solid yolk, you can tell them to "shut it!", and just leave it in the oven for another 3-5 minutes. 

Note:If you know how to achieve the baked egg dish of your dreams, by all means stick to that temp. and time.  


 



Baked Eggs, Tomatoes, & Sweet Potato Greens

1 tbsp Oil
1 small shallot, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 red pepper
6 cherry tomatoes, halved
handful of sweet potato greens, julienne & stems removed
1/2 tsp butter
2 eggs

Before you begin prepping your ingredients, heat a griddle pan and put the whole red pepper on it. Get it nice & black all around. Place it in a bowl and cover with cling wrap or you can skip the bowl and place it in a paper bag to steam. Also, if you don't have a griddle pan, you can broil your pepper in the oven to achieve a nice char. After you've prepped your ingredients, remove char from pepper, scrape out the insides, and chop.
Preheat oven to 375. Place a oven safe dish inside to warm. Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add shallot and garlic and stir until fragrant, 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes and pepper and cook for another 5 minutes. Turn heat to low and add greens. Cook until wilted. Remove dish from oven and add the 1/2 tsp butter and pour in the tomato mixture. Gently crack the eggs on top without breaking the yolk. Season with a little salt & pepper. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Turn your oven to high broil, and broil the eggs for another 2-4 minutes.

Chili Oil

recipe from: bonappetit
1 tbsp butter
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
pinch of paprika
pinch of salt

Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add spices & a pinch of salt. Cook until the butter starts to foam and browned bits form at the bottom of the pan, 1-2 minutes.

Drizzle on top of baked eggs. Serve with toast!

optional toppings: chives, cilantro, green onions

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment