Monday, September 30, 2013

Hatch Chile Chocolate Chip
Cookies



I know, I know! I'm posting hatch chile recipes in late September (soon to be October!!!!) but I have to share just one more. I made about 4 or 5 batches of these this past summer and received a ton of compliments. These will be made every hatch chile season from here on out. 

I made these two ways. All were made using chia seed gel as the egg substitute, I just used two "eggs" for a few batches and that produced a thinner cookie with a chewy center & crispy edges. The ones pictured above were made with one "egg" and this produced more crumb & less spread. Both were delicious! If you have any hatch chiles tucked in the freezer, give these a shot!

Okay, no more posting recipes for things out of season! I promise! Except... I do want to post a recipe for a bourbon peach cake I made....
So maybe just one more. Ugh, my procrastination frustrates me!

**the recipe below is for a thinner, chewier cookie. You can reduce the chia egg by one for more volume & crumb**

Vegan Hatch Chile Chocolate Chip Cookies

makes 4 dozen

1 3/4 cup AP flour
1/2 cup quick oats, grounded
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp chia seeds, grounded +
6 tbsp water
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup vegan butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 roasted hatch chiles, peeled, seeded,& chopped
1 cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375. Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix flour, ground oats, ground flaxseed, baking soda, & salt in a large bowl; set aside. Mix chia seed grounds & water in a small bowl and let sit for a few minutes. In the bowl of an electric mixer on medium speed, beat sugars & butter together until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add the chia egg and vanilla, beat another 2 minutes. On low speed, add the flour mixture. Add chocolate chips and chiles. Mix just until combined. Using a cookie scoop, drop balls of cookie dough onto the baking sheet about 2" apart. Bake for 15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment