Thursday, August 1, 2013

Pan-Glazed Tofu
with korean melon, cucumber, & tomatoes


I constantly feel behind. Like this post for instance is way overdue. I have so many things I want to do and things I need to do but I have these moments where I let that overwhelming feeling take over. It completely consumes me and it's all downhill from there. I get so stressed, nothing gets done. When nothing gets done, things in my life become disorganized & crazy. And naturally, this takes a toll on my health. So I'm currently working on getting back on track before I let things get too bad. I'm back to making lists... grocery lists, meal planning, writing things down so I won't forget (That's a big one! I'm so forgetful, I end up annoying myself!), and scheduling the week to come. It's always helpful to write things down when your trying to make changes in your life. It's good to see it on paper. It gives you a little extra motivation to do things right. Heck just planning for breakfast last Sunday for the work week mornings ahead made a world of difference. I had more energy in the mornings, I was in a better mood, and never felt rushed because I had everything planned and ready to go.

I love lists. 





Of course one of my changes is my diet. It's extremely hard to eat healthy when your disorganized and life is feeling chaotic. I won't lie, my diet has been pretty bad lately. Bread, sugar, salt, starch. Yeah all those things your suppose to eat every now and then, I've been devouring on a daily basis. But no more! It's time for a fresh start. 

I made this meal last week and it was the perfect meal to celebrate the changes I'm determined to make. It was new, light & crisp. Nothing fancy. Just simple and fresh. 



Pan-Glazed Tofu
with korean melon, cucumber, & tomatoes
recipe from edamam.com

1/2 of a korean melon, chopped
1 cucumber, diced
                            5 tiger tomatoes, quartered *or cherry, whatever you got!
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp fresh lime juice
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1/2 tsp raw honey
1/2 tbsp chopped basil
seas salt
freshly ground pepper

1 block of tofu, sliced into 6 -1/2" pieces
1 tbsp canola oil
                        2 tbsp raw coconut aminos *tamari or soy sauce will work
juice from 1/2 a lemon
2 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp sriracha

Prepare tofu slices by pressing them to get the water out. I placed a clean kitchen towel on top of my tofu slices and then placed my cutting board on top. While you let that sit prepare the melon salad & tofu glaze. For the melon salad, combine the first 8 ingredients in a medium bowl, season with sea salt & pepper. Set aside. In a small bowl, mix the aminos, lemon juice, sugar, and sriracha. Set aside. Heat the oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the tofu on each side until nicely browned, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add the sriracha mixture. Evenly cover tofu in sauce and cook for about 1-2 minutes until sauce thickens some.
Serve hot over couscous and top with melon salad.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment