Thursday, June 20, 2013

Kale & Pecan
Pesto



I don't have too much to say other than...

Pesto can make your life easier. 


(my bruised but still usable basil)



Make a batch of pesto & use it all week. You can invite all your friends for a pesto party!! (Anyone else miss The Office?)

pesto migas for breakfast
toast topped with pesto and goat cheese for a snack
a leafy green or grain salad with a spoonful of pesto for lunch
pesto veggie saute for dinner
spread some on fresh grilled corn for second dinner
pesto pizza for third dinner
mix some into hummus for a snack before fourth dinner 

  

Oh, I could go on...



There are tons of different ways to make this stuff. The norm is to use pine nuts, but if you have a bag of pecan, walnut, or almond pieces in your fridge, I say go for it. No kale but plenty of spinach? Go for it! As a lover of cashews I think I'll toss those in my next batch. Or pistachios!

Notes: I put down 1-2 tbsp of cilantro because I just picked it from my little herb garden and did not get an exact measure. Also,I used curly kale this go but I've also used dino and it tastes just as good. Anytime I use kale I massage the heck out of it. This is a must when making a kale salad. Without massaging you risk eating some tough & bitter greens. I'm not entirely sure if this is a must when using it in a food processor for pesto, but I don't risk it. I don't think you should either. Get in there...massage that kale...  

Kale & Pecan Pesto
1 cup roughly chopped kale 
2 cups fresh basil
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesean
1/4 cup pecan pieces
1/2 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1/4 tsp sea salt
juice & zest of one lemon
1-2 tbsp fresh cilantro
1 tbsp chia seeds (optional)

I have a terrible food processor. It can be a challenge to add ingredients as I go when making sauce or paste, so my directions are pretty simple: Combine ingredients in a food processor and pulse until you've reached desired texture. Some like it chunky. I like it finely chopped and pureed. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment