Monday, February 18, 2013

Fennel & Cannellini with marjoram and dill



I finally joined a csa & I love it! There's always a satisfying feeling I get when I whip up a bowl of delicious veggies. That feeling intensifies when you know the veggies in your bowl are organic & the best part...local. Makes me feel a little better about what I'm putting in my body. And it may sound weird, but I really like washing fresh dirt off my veggies.


Side note: I know putting text on your food pics is like the thing to do and a bit worn out,  but I was playing around with photoshop Saturday morning and couldn't help myself. I like it. I'm scared I may do it more often.

...please forgive me.

  


I added text to my pictures! I'm an official blogger!



So this is the first meal I made with a few ingredients (the fennel & dill) from my local csa box. Fennel, cannellini beans, marjoram, parsley, & dill. 
chop. mix. heat. eat. be happy.

You can use any white bean you have on hand. I decided to use a can of cannellini I had in the pantry. These beans have been known to reduce cholesterol and are loaded with antioxidants, fiber & my favorite...iron. So if you're anemic like me, grab a can of beans & eat up! Or follow the recipe below and throw them in the pan with some fresh fennel (also a good source of fiber!) and herbs. 



I loved the smell & taste of this one skillet meal. Serve over quinoa to make it a main dish.

Fennel & Cannellini with marjoram and dill
Recipe adapted from Ms. Stewart
Ingredients:
 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium fennel bulb, cut into 1/4" thick slices
1/2 medium red onion, cut into 1/4" thick slices
1 15 ounce can cannellini beans (or any other white bean)
1 cup veggie broth
2 tsp coarsely shopped fresh marjoram
1 tsp coarsely chopped fresh dill
1/2 tsp coarsely chopped fresh parsley 
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tbsp coconut vinegar (this is just what I used. You can substitute for another vinegar.)
1 tbsp earth balance ( or any kind of vegan butter sub)

Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add fennel and red onion; cook, stirring occasionally until tender and edges are brown, about 10 minutes. Add beans, veggie stock, marjoram, dill, parsley, salt & pepper. Stir and cook for another 4-5 minutes, until liquid has reduced by about half. Stir in vinegar and butter. Remove from heat. Serve over quinoa and garnish with any remaining herbs.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment