Thursday, January 31, 2013

Shaved Asparagus Salad



Clean eating...
It's difficult to do.




And it's about to get even more difficult. Tomorrow is February 1. February is another reason for me to start pulling out the sugar & start baking some heart-shaped cakes & cookies. 

I'm trying to watch my eating habits and make healthy food choices, but baking is in my blood & I can't say no to making sweet valentine treats. Maybe I'll pull together the willpower and just "taste test" one of each treat I bake.  

Ugh. I'm not stupid. That won't happen. 

See you soon stretchy pants.

Before I load this blog up with sugar-filled love, I want to post this simple shaved asparagus salad to remind you that I don't live off of sugar and butter and I actually do put healthy, good-for-me things in my body.



This is a simple side salad made of shaved asparagus & topped with a lemon-olive oil dressing, parmesan cheese, and toasted pepita seeds. Quick. Delicious.
This can easily pair with some grilled tofu or a simple pasta.
And it helps that the shaved asparagus ribbons makes for a pretty presentation. 

NOTE: There will be some leftover salad dressing. I had about 1/3 cup left. You can use the remains for a marinade later.

Shaved Asparagus Salad
Ingredients:
1 pound asparagus
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 tbsp spicy mustard
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp salt
pepper to taste

toasted pepitas
freshly grated parmigiana cheese

In a small bowl mix olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper. Set  aside. Trim the ends of the asparagus. One by one, lay the asparagus flat on a cutting board and shave thin slices with a vegetable peeler. I found it easier to hold it by the thicker stalk end and peel towards the tip. Place asparagus ribbons on a flat dish and drizzle with desired amount of lemon-olive oil dressing. Top with cheese and toasted seeds.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment