Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Mushroom, Asparagus, & Feta Tart





It was rainy all day yesterday so kickboxing was rescheduled. The thought of staying warm indoors while making dinner & then just sitting with a book sounded like the best backup plan. I already knew I wanted to make a tart but unfortunately I was in need of a new book to read so I took a trip to half priced books.
Love that place! It's hard to leave with one book. Especially when you have a cookbook addiction. I stayed in the cookbook nook of the store way longer than I meant to. How many cookbooks can I hold in one hand  while flipping through a book with the other? Apparently a whole lot. That's how it usually starts when I go to HPB and then I just collapse on the floor and sit there with a pile of books around me while I keep looking. Yeah, I'm that annoying person. Sorry. I don't notice I'm doing it til I snap out of my daze & I realize I've been there for way too long...and that's exactly what happened. After realizing that I had more than one book in my hand and it was getting late, I went looking for Billy & I wasn't too surprised to find him still in the art section. 




By the time I was home, I felt tired & could feel myself getting grumpy. I was ready to call it a day. 
I had intended to make my own crust from scratch, but sometimes it's just way easier to give in & take the shortcut. So I went with a puff pastry sheet instead. No complaints. Still tasty & it gave me time to sit and enjoy my new books.



Skip the fork & just eat with your hands! You can still be classy & eat with your hands. Or you can keep on not caring cause your eating dinner at home & eating with your hands means one less utensil to wash!



I hope I continue to improve my picture taking skills. I wasn't too happy with the turnout of these pics. Practice, practice.

Note: sometimes when you make an asparagus tart late at night, you forget to trim the ends. true story. watch out!

Mushroom, Asparagus, & Feta Tart
Ingredients:

Puff Pastry Sheet
2 tbsp butter
1 shallot onion, chopped
2 cups sliced mushroom
salt & pepper to taste
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 tsp fresh chopped thyme
1 tsp fresh chopped parsley 
1 1/2 cup crumbled feta 

asparagus, washed and butts trimmed (As much as you want to use. I used about 1/2 pound)
olive oil
salt
freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)


Heat butter in a large skillet pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook for about 1-2 minutes & add the mushrooms and garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste & saute til lightly browned. Take off from the heat & stir in thyme & parsley. Set aside & let cool.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roll out pastry sheet and measure 1" inch from the edge & score with a fork. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the over & top with 1 cup feta crumbles. Pour mushroom mixture on top and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of feta. Add asparagus & press down into mushroom/feta mix. Brush some olive oil over the asparagus and sprinkle with a pinch of salt & freshly grated cheese.  Bake until asparagus is tender, about 25 minutes. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment