Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Chocolate dipped Potato Chip Cookies - Vegan



Hope everyone had a great labor day weekend. I was lucky to have Monday off from work. Three day weekends are obviously great, but for me they can also be dangerous. I treat them like mini vacations. And vacations mean eating whatever you want all day & all night. 


That's exactly what I did. 
I ate. so. much.

I ate a shameful amount of ice cream. 

Billy bought me fudge covered coconut creme oreos (he knows me well) on Friday...
There's about 4 left in the pack.

Aside from the embarrassing amount of junk food I consumed, I was also lucky enough to fill up on some delicious ramen...



Ramen Tatsu-ya is a new ramen shop in Austin that just opened its doors after a very successful soft opening. Billy was asked to paint the inside of the restrooms & on the restroom doors. So he, along with help from other artists from the blue dozen collective made those restrooms look amazing! It was fun to see little glimpses here & there throughout the process...



Even after visiting the restaurant a few times while everyone was preparing for the opening, I was still extremely impressed and amazed when I walked in for their first official day of service. The atmosphere alone is worth the visit, but these guys can serve their food on the curb outside & there will still be a line...

grand opening day, photo credit: ramen tatsu-ya

I've already made several appearances & I've enjoyed everything I've had so far. This will be a regular spot for Billy & I.


Here are a few more reviews & write ups...

Now on to (onto or on to?) cookies...

Like I said, I was a fat-ass this weekend and there was not enough snacks in my house to satisfy my outrageous need for more salty & sweet thangs...
So these cookies happened...



After visiting smitten kitchen, I decided chocolate covered potato chip cookies were a must for this weekend. I just made a vegan version of it because I had those ingredients on hand & figured why not. 


Chocolate dipped Potato Chip Cookies
Ingredients:
1 cup earth balance (or any other non-dairy butter/margarine)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped roasted almonds
1/2 cup crushed potato chips (I used kettle brand, salt & vinegar)
2 cups all purpose flour

4 ounces semi-sweet vegan chocolate chips
1 tsp vegetable shortening 

crushed potato chips for topping

set oven to 350. prepare baking sheets with parchment paper. In a large bowl, cream butter, brown sugar, & 1/2 cup of the white sugar together til light & fluffy. Mix in the vanilla & salt until smooth. Then add the almonds, potato chips, & flour and mix until just combined.

Place the remaining 1/4 cup in a small bowl and set aside. Scoop about 1 tablespoon-size of dough, form into a ball, & roll in the sugar. place on the prepared cookie sheet. Use the bottom of a cup to slightly flatten the cookies, leaving about 1" in-between the cookies.
Bake for about 15 minutes or lightly nice golden edges form. Transfer to a wire rack for cooling.

Melt chocolate with shortening in a double boiler, stirring until smooth. Dip the cookies halfway in the chocolate and sprinkle the dipped half with more crushed potato chips.

Let dry & enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment