Monday, July 30, 2012

Mango Salsa


Salsa is a big deal here in Austin. We put it on almost everything we eat... because most of us eat tacos everyday. 



We are spoiled here with a ton of places serving up some of the tastiest tacos! There is just an infinite amount of food trucks & stands, each with their own unique menu full of different options to fulfill your taco dreams. (What? You don't dream about food...? Sure you do. I'm not weird. You're weird.)


And let me get this out...


I would like to say "I'm sorry" to those of you who do not live near a place to get a damn good breakfast taco. How do you live? What are your Sundays like without breakfast tacos in the morning?


Okay. Am I overdoing it?


No.


Honestly, if you don't get excited about tacos...then you're just weirdo.


Now, some of the best places to get tacos have the most awesome condiments to pair. When you find a place with good salsa, more often than not, you've found a good taco meal too.


photo credit: flickr- poco-cocoa

My old apartment was right across the street from this hole in the wall (literally) place called Taco-Mex. You can call in your order and then walk up to the window to pick it up. They had the BEST breakfast tacos! Although they had tough competition from the peeps at El Chilito right down the road (see what I mean about taco places everywhere), I found myself going back to Taco-Mex time and time again. $1.75 for a fat breakfast taco...can't beat that!  Billy & I believe that we alone helped Taco-Mex open their second location within the year I was at that apartment. We went preeeeetty often. I do believe there were a few times I caught myself trying to scurry in and out of my place with my taco-mex bag, embarrassed my neighbors would think I inhaled them every hour on the hour. Then one day I called in an order & as I was walking up to the window to pick it up, before I could say a word, the guy popped his head out with my bag in his hand and with a big smile said, "Melissa" and handed me my food. Yup. At that moment I embraced the relationship I had built between me and those delicious breakfast tacos and from then on, I walked proudly (and almost daily), across the street and back with my taco bag shame-free.

Taco-Mex stays true to my 'good taco place=good condiments theory'. They have a great green salsa that they eventually had to start charging extra for because people would ask for extra cups of it all the time. It's some real good stuff!





SO you would think with all this blabbering about tacos (I've now typed the word tacos 18 times...damn,this is a good post) that this post would actually be about an awesome taco recipe. But no...as I said, every good taco needs a good salsa. And that's what this post is about. Just one of many options to accompany whatever your tortilla is holding.   





Making salsa is easy easy. Just chop and mix. And the best part about making salsa at home is you control the ingredients and heat. You can also sneak in a whole cup of spinach without telling anyone, like I did with this batch.


This recipe is not what I call traditional salsa. I just think it's a nice summertime version.





MMMMMmmm...mmmm... Mango Salsa! It's great on it's own and depending on what kind of taco your in the mood for, I'm sure it would make a nice addition. 

One more thing before I get to the recipe...



How cute are my pups? I love em'!! :)




Mango Salsa
Recipe from allrecipes
Ingredients:
1 Mango, peeled & diced
3 medium tomatoes, diced 
1 jalapeno, diced
3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup chopped fresh spinach
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
3 tbsp olive oil

Mix & stir all ingredients. Keep it in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour so it can reach it's full flavor potential. Take it out of the fridge. Eat it all!

Enjoy!


Melissa
   

No comments:

Post a Comment