Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Garlic Ginger Soba Noodles


Things are slowly but surly coming together with the new place. I had a nice mini break from work & finished unpacking most of my stuff from boxes...and onto the floor. Next step, get things off the floor & in the proper place. It's such a slow process because I don't know where I want things to go & I have all kinds of diy projects in mind.


Aside from "unpacking", my time off from work was VERY much needed & it was great letting my mind wonder off without having to reel it back in every 30 minutes, reminding myself that I'm at work & in the middle of a project or whatever it is I'm doing.

Billy & I spent our days together by the pool, eating, thrifting, and just relaxing and not worrying about the clock.

I'm already planning for my next chunk of time off. I can't wait!

Let's talk Soba!

I love soba noodles. They have a delicious nutty flavor & they pack lots of protein & fiber unlike traditional pasta noodles. They can be served hot or cold, in soups or salads.
Yes, soba noodles are healthier than regular or wheat pasta but I think each has their own place. 
Here are some of the things that I think are worth mentioning about the mighty soba....

They are gluten free! (made of buckwheat flour which is actually a fruit seed & not a grain at all. From what I understand it's related to rhubarb...yum!)
Rich in magnesium & helps improve blood flow.
Helps lower cholesterol.
Helps control blood sugar.

Because soba noodles come packaged, be sure & read the label!! Just because it's a rather healthy, gluten free, good for you food doesn't mean it was made & packaged that way. Some manufactures add things or use less buckwheat flour to produce them. Choose wisely friends. 

I love looking at Heidi's blog, 101 Cookbooks, and I'm usually inspired within the first 2 minutes of browsing. She has a ton of recipes involving soba noodles. For this batch of noodles, I just took what I had on hand & used Heidi as my guide.


This dish is delicious & would nicely pair with some potstickers or veggie -filled summer rolls.

If I make any changes for next time, I may reduce the sauce amount. I think a little can go a long way with this recipe.

Garlic Ginger Soba Noodles
Very much inspired & adapted from 101 Cookbooks

Ingredients:
3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 green onion, white part thinly sliced (save green part for garnish)
about 1' ginger, peeled & finely chopped
1 tsp red pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup brown rice vinegar
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 tbsp olive oil

12 ounces dried soba noodles

1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/4 cup cilantro (leave some for garnish)
toasted peanuts, crushed

Combine garlic, green onions, ginger, rep pepper, salt, soy sauce, vinegar, lemon juice, & oils. Set aside. Prepare sobe noodles according to package. Drain & rinse with cold water. Mix noodles with the garlic ginger sauce, carrots & cilantro. Garnish with crushed toasted peanuts, cilantro, & remaining green onions.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment