Thursday, April 30, 2015


Migas with Jasmine Rice


2015, for me, has been filled with lots of high highs and low lows. I'm not sure if I'm just getting better at handling the lows or maybe I'm riding a pretty good high streak, but here it is almost May and I'm finally getting my shit together and organized. That's life, right? (I can't be the only one, so someone please agree!) Despite this roller coaster start to 2015, there is one thing that's consistent and that is my love for Saturday morning. It's one of two mornings in a week that I get to wake up, forget the makeup, not feel the instant stress that comes with my day job, and head straight to my happy place- the kitchen. Don't get me wrong, life ain't that bad, but anytime I'm about to lose my cool, Saturday mornings is usually the time that helps me  relax and remember how lucky I actually am. It's difficult to be grumpy with a tasty breakfast in front of you.






Breakfast food is everything that's good in the world-French toast, hash browns, waffles, breakfast tacos, doughnuts, all of it! It's hard to say what my favorite breakfast dish is, but migas is what I eat most often at home. It's also a meal I never order out since I can be pretty picky about it.  I like mine simple with the occasional diced tomato and/or avocado making an appearance...sometimes. I prefer finely diced spring onion but yellow onions are a favorite. The only fresh herb I wanna see is cilantro. I opt for hot sauce to bring the heat rather than adding a fresh pepper to the mix. But the big one is the crisp tortilla strips. Please don't come at me with bagged tortilla chips. That's all wrong! You need corn tortillas torn, fried and salted to perfection on your stove top. Trust me, there's a ton of terrible, overly-salted bagged chips. Frying those tortillas yourself is what makes the dish! And my last rule is how and when these chips are added back to the dish. Some people, including myself because it's just easier, do not remove the tortillas from the pan once they've crisped up and just add the eggs to it. That's good and fine as long as you crisp those tortillas up! You don't want to add eggs to semi-crisp tortilla chunks or you'll just make a soggy mess. My preferred method is removing the chips once they're done and adding them back to the eggs as they cook. But don't add them in too late 'cause then you've made egg nachos. I like my chips to still have some crunch but a little bit of a bite from mingling with the eggs while they finish cooking.





It may sound like I'm set in my ways and there's no room for additions in my perfectly planned miga preparation but there is one addition that I welcome with open arms... day old jasmine rice. Maybe it's just my absolute love for jasmine rice that I can tolerate it in just about anything, but there is something about that extra bite the rice gives that goes along perfectly with the crunch from the chips and the fluffy, creamy eggs. 


This is something I showed Billy how to make and now he makes it better than anyone I know! He put me to shame and I'm okay with that. There's just something so great about lounging in my pjs on a Saturday morning while my man makes me the best migas in town.

Notes: I usually stick with springs onions for my migas but when I'm adding jasmine rice, I prefer green onions/scallions. 
For the hot sauce, I like to add sriracha to the eggs and then top the finished dish with a drizzle of cholula. Like I said... I can be pretty picky about migas.


Migas with Jasmine Rice

3 tbsp veggie oil
3 tbsp butter
4 corn tortillas, torn into pieces
4 eggs
1 tbsp milk
hot sauce (I prefer sriracha or cholula)
2 green onion stalks, diced
1 cup day old jasmine rice
fresh chopped cilantro
dices tomato, cheese or avocado (optional)

In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and desired amount of hot sauce. Set aside. Heat butter and oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add tortilla chunks. Lightly salt and fry til crispy and golden. Remove from heat and set aside on paper towel lined plate. Add a few teaspoons to the pan if needed, add the onions. Cook until softened- just a few minutes, then add the rice. Cook for about 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the eggs and then tortillas chips back to the pan and scramble your eggs to your desired liking. I like mine fluffy with most of the moisture cooked out. I still like a little creaminess to it. Stir in chopped cilantro. Top with cheese, avocado, and more hot sauce!

Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment